Tuesday, May 03, 2011

It's All Relative


Although the NY Times couldn't be bothered to even mention it, Canada held an election yesterday. Among many, there were high hopes that Steven Harper and his Conservative government would finally get the boot. The NDP (New Democratic Party), which falls to the left of the Liberal Party, was experiencing a surge of enthusiasm, especially among younger voters.

Alas, it wasn't to be. Harper is still in with an even larger majority. In the past, when my fellow Canadians would complain about the Conservatives, it was hard not to roll my eyes a little. Most Conservatives are closer to American Democrats in ideology than the fire-breathing, evolution-denying, free market-worshipping wingnuts, I mean crazies, I mean people who go around calling themselves conservative south of the border. But Steven Harper is really a conservative Conservative. His record on women's issues and supporting the arts are especially terrible, but I think it is fair to say that his record on nearly everything is exactly not where Canada should be headed. It is fair to say that if you agree with me about things, that is.

The bright spot is that the NDP did do amazingly well, if not well enough, and they now hold the title of opposition party. I trust that they will fulfill that position as vigorously as is needed. Also, the youth vote did go their way, whch is very hopeful for the future. So, while things did not go as I wished they would, there are some rays of hope that Canada won't fall off the deep end, like some countries I could mention.

I have heard some of my Canadian friends say things like, "it is time to leave the country". Without doubting that it hurts to discover that your countrymen don't share your ideas about where things need to go, it is still just a little, teensy bit hard not to roll my eyes. Believe me, Canada, you still have a loooooong way to go. Your neighbor to the south is in such a deep state of delusional madness that, even with Steven Harper (and his hair) at the helm, you are still a breath of cool, clear Canadian air.

4 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

thank you. I am so devastated and this post was like when your mum puts a cool washcloth on your feverish fluish head. love ya!
Now where is my scotch. Yah, I know it is only 11 in the morning but I'm in serious sadness...
please check my second post yesterday for a poem about bin laden...

Xxx. Xxxx said...

Where would they go? We talk of moving to Canada all the time, so if we should just skip that step and head straight for (where? please say Paris? :) ) wherever, let me know! I'm glad there are signs of hope, feeble or no, for Canada still.

Shaking my head, south of the border.

Robyn said...

Believe me, Jan, I so totally know what you are feeling! I feel it too although not as strongly since I do feel like seeing Bush win (steal) two elections was possibly worse. As bad as Harper is, he isn't Bush.

Patti - I had the same thought! Where?? No, I truly believe there is still enough dissent, enough investigative journalists, and just enough people who can still care enough to keep Canada from becoming the US.

Unknown said...

while canada was a disappointment, i've never been prouder to be a newfoundlander. st. john's is all ndp. and although harper rolled out the old bigwigs to run in many ridings, none of them got in. so i think i'll just stay here.